cAREERS I LEASING CONSULTANT
Get started in a career you love today!
Leasing consultants are the industry's public face, helping people find the right housing option that fits their budget. Previous experience in retail or the hospitality industry can easily be applied to this rewarding career, which can lead to prestigious positions such as regional marketing director or senior leasing executive.
QUALITIES OF A SUCCESSFUL LEASING CONSULTANT
- Communication: Good listening, business writing and speaking skills so you can clearly convey information about an apartment home and community, communicate lease information and community policies, respond to resident maintenance requests and answer questions from residents, employees, and suppliers.
- Adaptability: Ability to understand and meet the needs of clientele of various backgrounds
- Computer Skills: Proficiency in data entry using property management software for running applications, printing leases, and recording lease information
- Financial Understanding: Ability to manage leasing and resident retention activities simultaneously plus handle other projects
- Learn more about leasing by downloading this brochure.
EDUCATION & TRAINING FOR LEASING CAREERS
Leasing is a great entry-level position for recent college graduates and individuals with some college coursework under their belt. Most companies offer on-the-job sales and marketing training to help you advance in your career. The NAA Education Institute offers its National Apartment Leasing Professional (NALP) credential online.
LEASING CONSULTANT ANNUAL BASE SALARY RANGE*
One of the RPM industry’s great benefits is compensation for your knowledge and growth, no matter which career path you choose.
- Entry Level: $26,500 – $33,000
- Experienced: $33,000 – $48,000
- Regional Supervisor: $69,200 – $90,000
- Work Hours: Full Time
- Rent Benefits: Some employers offer rent reduction of 20 percent or more
- Benefits: Health insurance, life insurance, retirement plan, tuition assistance
- Additional Earnings: Bonus pay of 5.4-23.5 percent of salary
*Source: CEL & Associates 2013 Real Estate Compensation Survey; exact salaries depend on geographic location, relevant experience, and company policy.